Related The 23rd edition of the Paris Half-Marathon will take place on Sunday 8 March 2015. A record number of 43,500 participants have confirmed their registration for this event, which is the second biggest on the French running calendar after the Schneider Electric Paris Marathon.This year the runners will tackle the route in the opposite direction to previous editions. Starting from near to the Château de Vincennes esplanade on the way to Porte Dorée, participants will visit some of Paris’ most famous landmarks, including the Place de la Nation, Place de la Bastille and the Hôtel de Ville. As usual, the finishing line is located on the edge of the Château de Vincennes esplanade, after a long final straight along Route de la Pyramide.Women account for 34% of registrations for this year’s spring challenge, up 4% on 2014, making it a Gallic record over the 21.1km distance. Russian model and actress Natalia Viodanova and French TV presenter Karine Lemarchand will both be taking part in the race, which this year coincides with International Women’s Day.The Paris Half-Marathon Village will be open on Friday 6 March from 10:00 CET to 19:30 CET and Saturday 7 March from 09:00 CET to 19:30 CET at the Parc Floral de Paris botanical garden, located within the Bois Vincennes woods. Competitors and their friends and families are advised to take public transport (via metro line 1, to Château de Vincennes station) in order to reach the Village and access the starting zone.www.semideparis.com
Study suggests prior dengue infection doesn’t increase Zika viral loadAn analysis of blood samples from Brazilian patients seen in an emergency department for acute febrile illness found no sign of antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) in those with Zika infection who had previously been exposed to dengue virus.Both viruses are flaviviruses, which are known for enhancing immune response. As part of their work on Zika virus vaccines, scientists have been trying to tease out how and if ADE impacts Zika severity and if cross-infection with dengue or other flaviviruses worsens the disease.A Brazil-based research team examined samples from 65 patients who were evaluated at a hospital in Sao Paulo state during the first half of 2016, when the area was experiencing a Zika outbreak. To explore any connection between ADE and both dengue and Zika, the researchers examined patients’ viral loads and their cytokine profiles during acute infection. They published their findings yesterday in Clinical Infectious Diseases.For patients diagnosed as having acute dengue or Zika infections, the researchers didn’t see higher viremia levels in those who had previously been infected with dengue, but they noted that the study had only enough power to detect the difference with Zika virus.In the cytokine analysis part of the study, the investigators looked at patterns with 10 cytokines, finding a significant difference in only one: IL-1-beta, which was lower in patients with acute dengue infections who had been infected with dengue previously. Again, the researchers said the power to detect differences between the groups was low, but in the Zika patients they did see a significant positive association between IL-1-beta and viral load.The authors said they will continue to evaluate the group of patients to assess if earlier dengue infection protects against future Zika infections or illnesses involving other dengue serotypes. They also said they will explore other immunoglobulin subclasses and different immune cell subsets to better understand the mechanisms of the findings they observed in the patients.Jun 20 Clin Infect Dis abstract New MERS case reported in RiyadhSaudi Arabia’s Ministry of Health (MOH) reported one new MERS-CoV case yesterday in an update dated Jun 19.The patient is a 42-year-old male expatriate from Riyadh. He did not have any symptoms of MERS-CoV (Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus) infection and is in stable condition. He’s listed as a secondary household contact of a previously reported case.The MOH reported no new cases in an update dated yesterday and of this writing had not issued a Jun 21 report. Before yesterday, the agency reported new cases on 19 straight days.As of yesterday, Saudi Arabia’s MERS-CoV cases since 2012 total 1,656, including 676 deaths. Seventeen people are still being treated for their infections.Jun 19 MOH report Nonmedical vaccine exemptions linked to pertussis outbreaksA study yesterday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences used geospacial data to show that US counties with more kindergartners with nonmedical vaccine exemption status have higher rates of pertussis outbreaks in the United States.The data come from 2012, when the national incidence rate for pertussis was 15.4 per 100,000 people, the highest since 1955. The researchers compared reports of nonmedical vaccine exemption statuses of kindergarteners during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 academic years with statistically significant geographic clusters of pertussis cases in 2012 for two different age-groups (5 years and younger and 10 to 14 years), reported at the county level.They found that relative risk for pertussis outbreaks increased in counties that had more unvaccinated kindergartners. On average, the proportion of kindergarteners with nonmedical vaccine exemptions was 2.8 times larger in counties reporting a pertussis vaccine cluster.”Although we recognize that correlation does not establish causation, the findings from this investigation are consistent with previous suggestions that geographic clusters of nonmedical vaccine exemptions and waning immunity may have been two of several factors that contributed to community-level pertussis outbreaks,” the authors concluded.Jun 20 Proc Natl Acad Sci study Ricin vaccine candidate received more fundingThe National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) is providing, additional money for animal testing of the novel ricin poison treatment and vaccine, RiVax, according to a company news release.The NIAID will provide Soligenix, the maker of RiVax, with approximately $2 million in additional funding, bringing the total amount awarded to date under this contract to $18.7 million, according to the release.The company specializes in making products that treat rare diseases. If all contract options are exercised, the total award of up to $24.7 million will support preclinical, manufacturing, and clinical development.Ricin is a toxin that could be weaponized. The plant-derived poison is lethal in doses as small as a grain of salt and can be dissolved in water. There are no current treatments for ricin poisoning, but RiVax acts as a medical countermeasure to prevent the effects of ricin exposure.Jun 21 Soligenix press release
SANTA FE ― Customers are once again able to purchase fuelwood permits, maps and interagency passes at the Las Vegas District Office of the Santa Fe National Forest (SFNF), effective immediately. The Las Vegas office at 1926 N. 7th St., has designated collection officers in place who are authorized to accept payment for all Forest Service products 8 a.m. to noon and 1-4 p.m., Monday through Friday. “We want to thank members of the public for their patience while we got our new staffers up to speed,” District Ranger Steve Romero said. “We are happy to be back to business as usual at the Las Vegas office.” For additional information, contact the Pecos District Office at 505.757.6121 or the Las Vegas District Office at 505.425.3534. SFNF News:
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
If you want to benefit from more residential property insights, join us for the RESI Convention on 10-11 November 2020.Now a fully virtual event, find out more: Source: Shutterstock/ Monkey Business ImagesBillions of pounds of pension fund money have poured into two of the most successful alternative residential assets – build-to-rent (BTR) and purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA).Fundamentally, these long-term investors have been attracted to BTR and PBSA because both are underpinned by long-term demographic trends.Both assets by their very nature cater to the younger generation. BTR,for example, looks to capture so-called ‘generation rent’, who are renting for longer than ever, demanding better services and amenities.Yet there is a huge proportion of the population that is not being catered to at the same scale by any new – or alternative – residential assets. This may be about to change.An ageing populationIt is no secret that Britain’s population is rapidly ageing, with the ONS predicting 15 million people will be over 65 by 2030. There is already latent long-term demand building for retirement housing stock.However, the UK’s later living market is still tiny compared with more mature markets such as Australia, New Zealand and the US.In 2017, just 0.6% of over-65s in Britain were living in retirement communities, according to a Local Government Association report.However, the supply and demand drivers are advantageous enough to suggest that a later-living boom in the UK is a possibility.As Savills noted in a Key Investment Opportunities article from January this year: “The population aged 75+ stands at 5.4 million and is due to grow by 1.9 million over the next 30 years. There are 726,000 dedicated retirement dwellings in the UK.“On this basis, we estimate the sector is as much as 45% undersupplied, even before factoring in a high risk of obsolescence of the stock that exists. Legal & General, AXA and Goldman Sachs have already committed to the sector.”Patrick McMahon, senior partner at property consultancy Bidwells, agrees.“Specialised housing for seniors is going to be hugely important in the coming year, as demand grows dramatically to accommodate our ageing population,” he says. “Too many over-65s remain in their own homes long after they have stopped being suitable for their needs. They are put off by the tax burdens associated with downsizing, a lack of choice in retirement living housing and uncertainty about leaving a much-loved home.”Downsizing and suitable careA rise in later living might also help solve some of the long-running issues inherent in the UK’s housing market.Arguably, for too long Britain has ignored the needs of people in later life and failed to provide enough homes for our older generation.Eugene Marchese, co-founder and director at Legal & General-backed urban later living developer and operator Guild Living, says: “The Covid-19 crisis has hit our elderly population hard and has exposed the terrible truth that many millions of people in later life do not have a safe place to call home.“Too many are lonely and isolated, live in homes that pose a risk to their health or cannot safely access the care services they require.“This crisis must herald a revolution in the way that we care for our elderly generation. It must prompt us to ask ourselves ‘how do we want our parents to live in later life?’. The time has come to look at ageing in a new way and to ensure that we, as a society, value the extraordinary life of every older person.”The growing conversation around later living schemes represents a step change in how society is thinking about our elderly population’s living conditions.However, for many over-65s looking to downsize, there is not a wealth of attractive or available options. A trickle, rather than a torrent, of new purpose-built retirement communities coming on to the market is currently severely restricting the choice on offer.Over the coming 25 years, demand for later living accommodation is set to grow substantially as the population of over-80s doubles. These strong macro tailwinds mean later living communities offer compelling growth and will generate long-term results.Retirement communities are a countercyclical, needs-driven asset class and, like other ‘alternative’ investments, offer diversification and long-term cashflows.Crucially, they are also a socially positive investment that meets a genuine need and have the potential to dramatically improve the lives of the people who live in them.
First-Time Financing by World Bank for Digital Economy in Eastern Caribbean Approved for US$94M(Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States Press Release, Tuesday, June 23, 2020) — WASHINGTON — The World Bank Board of Executive Directors approved yesterday the regional Caribbean Digital Transformation Project for a total of US$94 million for four Eastern Caribbean countries: Dominica (US$28 million), Grenada (US$8 million), Saint Lucia (US$20 million), Saint Vincent and the…June 23, 2020In “Business”CDB seminars to focus on resilience, air transport, blue economyBRIDGETOWN, Barbados – The Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) will bring together government officials, experts and thought leaders for three interactive seminars during the 48th Annual Meeting of its Board of Governors in Grenada. Discussants will address three topics: building resilient cities; the blue economy; and regional air transport during the…May 27, 2018In “CARICOM”Naomi Allard gets her prizeNaomi Allard gets her prizeMay 31, 2018Similar postShare this on WhatsApp Read more at: Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States Press RoomShare this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… “This series of three projects aims to increase the safety and the overall resilience of key connection points in the Eastern Caribbean,” said Tahseen Sayed, World Bank Country Director for the Caribbean. “The World Bank’s first financing of airport projects in the Caribbean will also facilitate connectivity and support countries during the COVID-19 recovery phase.” (Media Release Courtesy The World Bank, Washington, 28 May, 2020) — The World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors approved a series of Caribbean Regional Air Transport Connectivity Projects in four countries for a total of US$159 million, to enhance regional connectivity by improving the safety of air transport and the resilience of the airport infrastructure to natural disasters. Airports can become a catalyst to regenerate economic activity as the small Caribbean island states begin to reopen. Read my op-ed here: https://t.co/SJH8We0viI pic.twitter.com/C6ab2RoOs5— Tahseen Sayed (@tahseensayed) May 29, 2020 These projects include International Development Association (IDA) financing of US$13 million for Dominica, US$17 million for Grenada, US$84 million for Haiti, and US$45 million for Saint Lucia. These countries are reliant on the air transport sector and face common connectivity issues. The projects will enable countries to better accommodate diverted flights, emergency landings, and post-disaster relief flights, and improve regional capacity and collaboration in the sector.
Italy-based special cable manufacturer Novacavi has reported its growing activity in marine industry after its launch of Aquancable, a wide range of specialist bespoke cables for maritime and underwater technologies.As a privately owned company with almost 40 years of experience in designing and manufacturing fit for purpose cables that 15 years ago decided to focus also on subsea, marine and offshore energy applications, Novacavi has begun this year with further expansion into this market.“We have always worked with the aim of responding to new and future challenges in special markets; since oil and gas sector is moving towards deeper waters and more complicated offshore field development programs, there is an increasing demand of pressure resistant subsea cable that we are ready to meet,” said the company.Established in 1975, Novacavi designs and manufactures an extensive range of in-house high quality unique cables to be suitable in any harsh environment conditions including umbilical cables as well as highly specialised subsea cables.Press Release, June 09, 2014
The Panama Canal is celebrating a century of operations connecting the world, committed to completing its Expansion, the largest infrastructure project of the waterway since its opening.“Going forward, the Panama Canal will continue to connect the world, supported by all the modernization efforts since its construction,” said Panama Canal Administrator Jorge L. Quijano. “The Expansion will change trade patterns just as the Canal opening did a century ago.”The Panama Canal opened to world trade on August 15, 1914 with the passage of SS Ancon. Ever since, the 80-kilometer waterway has registered over 1.055.000 transits reducing distances, time and shipping costs.During the past 100 years, the Panama Canal has left a legacy of innovation, connectivity, cultural diversity and sustainability having an impact on world maritime trade.[mappress]Press Release, August 15, 2014
Blue Water Shipping and A2SEA have completed the loading, transportation and installation of three transformer units at the 400MW Horns Rev 3 offshore wind farm in the Danish part of the North Sea.Blue Water loaded the three transformer units onto A2SEA’s installation vessel, Sea Installer, in the Port of Esbjerg last week. The units had been shipped to Esbjerg by Blue Water, and stored at the port during assembly.“Before we commenced the operation, we went through the safety procedures. We always do that to ensure a smooth and safe operation. Each of the units weighed 185 tons so we used the vessels own crane to lift the heavy elements. After a few hours of work, the ship set its course to Horns Rev,” said Mikkel Puggaard, Project Manager for Blue Water.Prior to the start of the project, Sea Installer underwent upgrades at Damen Shiprepair Amsterdam, including the the extension of the main crane boom. The upgrades will help the vessel with the installation of MHI Vestas V164-8.0MW turbines at Horns Rev 3, scheduled to start in 2018.Developed by Vattenfall, Horns Rev 3 will be the largest offshore wind farm in Danish waters once commissioned in 2018.Energinet.dk is the developer and owner of the infrastructure which will transport the energy generated by Horns Rev 3 to the Danish grid.
BigLift Shipping will commercially operate two pairs of sisterships under the agreement: BigLift Barentsz and BigLift Baffin, along with CY Interocean I and CY Interocean II.The deck carriers are almost similar with respect to deck space. The CY vessels have a shallower draught, which allows the vessels to call at a wider range of ports.The two companies said that they are ready to meet the future demands of the LNG, oil and gas markets, and handle cargoes for renewable energy projects, while adhering to the highest quality, health and safety standards.BigLift Barentsz and BigLift Baffin are 21,675 dwt deck carriers designed for the transportation of modules and equipment for energy projects both on and offshore. The open-stern ships have a deck space of 42 m x 125 m.Click here for the specifications of the BigLift MC Class ships, and here for the CY-Type specifications.www.bigliftshipping.com