Nigerian Ports Authority on Right Track

first_imgThe Nigerian Ports Authority in its Quarterly report of 1st Quarter, 2013 has witnessed increased gross tonnage of coastal vessels and Cargo traffic over the same period in 2012.Available statistics shows that Gross tonnage of coastal vessels was 2,237,822mt, an increase of 23% over 1st quarter 2012 figure of 1,810,423.Laden Container Throughput was 216,110 TEUs, a growth of 2.9% over 1st Quarter 2012 figures of 210,057TEUs. It was also recorded that Refined petroleum was 4,886,001metric tons, indicating an increase of 10.3% over 1st Quarter 2012 figure of 4,431,318metric tons.The increase recorded in the 1st Quarter was due to the continuous effort of the Organization in engaging in maintenance dredging which allowed for bigger vessels to visit the ports. The increase in importation of refined petroleum was due to the stability in the oil and gas industry after the conclusion of the oil subsidy probe in 2012 and the subsequent resumption of importation.The Managing Director of NPA, Habib Abdullahi, has said that with the tremendous support of the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Nigerian Ports Authority has continued to engage in massive infrastructural development which has resulted to the above performance.“The effort will be intensified as we vigorously pursue our vision to make Nigerian Ports the hub of the West and Central African Region,” said Abdullahi.[mappress]Press Release, July 1, 2013last_img read more

Compensation fund levy set for steep increase

first_imgThe Law Society’s Council convenes next week to set the level of the compensation fund levy, with a steep increase on this year’s £150 now seemingly inevitable. A report circulated ahead of Wednesday’s meeting contains a recommendation from the Financial Protection Committee that the full contribution rate for 2009/10 be set at £450. A final decision on the levy was deferred last month pending further consultation with the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Council will hear that £270 is the lowest level the regulator would support, as claims soar and calls on fund reserves increase. The higher figure of £450 allows for a degree of ‘smoothing’ which the committee hopes would mitigate the need for high contributions in 2010/11. Projections have shown that solicitors could face another steep increase then, as the number of practice interventions and the incidence of mortgage fraud increase. ‘We are starting to see the consequences of an economic downturn of unprecedented severity,’ the report says. ‘It could have consequences even worse than the early 1990s, when grants peaked at £42.3m in today’s values.’last_img read more

COVID-19 has exposed world’s health unpreparedness: WHO chief

first_imgWorld Health Organization’s Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus /CGTN Photo /James ChauThe World Health Organziation’s Director-General, Tedros Adhanom, says the COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the state of health unpreparedness the world has been.Tedros made the remarks on Thursday at a media briefing following a trilateral meeting between WHO, France and Germany.” The COVID-19 pandemic is a once-in-a-century event that has shown the world was not as prepared as it should have been,” he said.“We must all learn the lessons it is teaching us: that we are one humanity, and none of us are safe until all of us are safe.”COVID-19 has killed more than 482,000 people globally and infected over 9.4 million, according to data from the U.S.-based Johns Hopkins University.Tedros urged world leaders to show leadership in the fight against the pandemic, whose effects are projected to last for years according to analysts.Earlier, the WHO chief said the number of new infections was on the rise, a cause for concern globally.He noted that in the last month alone, more than 4 million new cases had been reported, and if the trend continues, the global number of COVID-19 infections will surpass 10 million by the end of the week.Related World Health Organization develops COVID-19 treatment master plan WHO and partners launch a health technologies pool: COVID-19center_img Zambia’s health minister tests positive for COVID-19last_img read more

Update: Dominica placed under Flood Warning

first_imgLocalNews Update: Dominica placed under Flood Warning by: – November 13, 2018 366 Views   no discussions Tweet Share Sharecenter_img Share Sharing is caring! The Office of Disaster Management (ODM) has been informed that a tropical wave with an associated area of disturbed weather is affecting Dominica. This feature is expected to influence weather across the island up to early Wednesday.The Flood WATCH issued by the Met Service from Tuesday 13, November to 6am Wednesday 14 November has since been upgraded to a FLOOD WARNING until 12 noon today, Tuesday. Given the recent rains, the grounds remain saturated. This additional activity could quickly lead to flash flooding, landslides and rockfalls across Dominica.The public is therefore being advised to exercise great caution during today and tonight. People in vulnerable areas should take note of their situation and make plans to protect themselves in advance. Again, if you live along rivers, ravines and other waterways, be on the lookout for fast rising water and take quick action. Motorist and pedestrians must not attempt to cross flooded roads and bridges. Do not take any undue risk.Extreme caution is strongly advised at this time.last_img read more

Check out the 2019 MV Agusta Moto2 race bike

first_imgImages of the 2019 MV Agusta Moto2 race bike have been released by the brand. The rendered images give us a taste of what the MV Agusta Forward Racing bike will look like. It was only last month that MV Agusta that they will be returning to the world of MotoGP in 2019 after a 42-year absence. A four-year deal has been signed with the Forward Racing team which will see them compete in a brand new reworked intermediate class that will run Triumph’s 765cc inline-three engine.It’ll be quite interesting as the Italian premium bike manufacturer is very experienced with triple cylinder engines and middleweight machines, particularly their MV Agusta F3. This very fact means that MV Agusta might just have enough of an advantage to fight for the championship.According to Giovanni Cuzari, Forward Racing Team CEO, “The dream of bringing MV Agusta back to the World Championship was born with Claudio Castiglioni, to whom I have always been linked by deep esteem and friendship, and the dream came true with his son Giovanni.”What’s more interesting is how this 2019 MV Agusta Moto2 bike will look like and a couple of rendered images have been released to give us a taste. Heavily inspired by the MV Agusta F3 supersport machine, this is probably the next step in evolution for the F3 fitted a new race-spec chassis.The headlight has been taken out for obvious reasons and a similarly-shaped air intake has taken its place. The package looks all well and good but MV Agusta does have a tall mountain to climb with other dominants forces like Kalex and KTM.No riders have been confirmed just yet for the MV Agusta Forward Racing team but do stay tuned to Bikes Republic for more Moto2 updates.MotoGP: Francesco Bagnaia will join Pramac Ducati in 2019!–Ads–center_img The team will have a slight advantage as they are very experienced with triple cylinder engines and supersport machines.last_img read more

Hue Jackson Talks Danny Shelton’s Playing Time, Defensive Production, and More

first_img Related TopicsCleveland BrownsDanny SheltonNose Tackle nbodnar1 The Cleveland Browns drafted nose tackle Danny Shelton in the first-round of the 2015 NFL draft. While many people see him as a “bust”, Shelton has shown improvement according to head coach Hue Jackson.Jackson talked about Shelton after Friday’s debacle of a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The first question he was asked was if Shelton’s playing time has decreased.Nothing is going on with his playing time. We just gave him more playing time in situations – they didn’t have a goal line snap; they were still playing in their three-wide system. There are times in nickel that we play him, and there are times that we don’t so it’s not so much his playing time. I just think he was out there in certain situations with a group. We are evaluating and trying to see what is going to be the best fit for all of our guys. I think Danny did some good things and improved in some areas last night. Again, I will keep saying, as a football team, we have to get better across the board.According to Jackson, Shelton and many athletes on defense still need work. The main goal to him and everyone is to “get home to the quarterback.”We keep working at it. We keep working at our technique and our fundamentals. We keep understanding protections better and how people are trying to protect us so that we can have an opportunity to get home to the quarterback.Lastly, Jackson thinks this young defensive front is ready to rock and roll come week one.I think what is important now is that we really start putting our units together and let them go play together because I think it is so important that those guys play together, be together, be able to make calls. When we are talking about communication issues, that is where some of that comes from. You have a lot of young guys maybe playing at a time, and they hear something and don’t react very quickly. We have to make sure we take the opportunity for error out as much as we can. Now, I think it is about time we put units together and let them play and get these guys ready for the opener.If you didn’t already know Danny Shelton lost weight this offseason and changed his jersey number from 71 to 55. Former Browns center Alex Mack had worn the number for several years but signed a five-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons this offseason.You would hope that a new regime under Hue Jackson, a new jersey number, and some weight loss would help this young athlete attack opposing quarterbacks. Just getting more pressure this season will go a long way.We will just have to wait and see. If Hue Jackson is excited and happy about Shelton and this defensive front, then you should be too.last_img read more

Why CS:GO Is Leading The Esports Betting Boom

first_imgEsports is one of the fastest growing sectors in the global entertainment industry and bookmakers have responded to demand by offering an ever expanding variety of esports betting markets.And one game is at the forefront of that betting revolution. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) is the highest profile esport, particularly in Europe and North America. With millions of players and spectators around the world, it’s not hard to see why bookmakers are scrambling to offer as many CS:GO betting opportunities as possible.Why CS:GO?CS:GO betting has been growing in popularity for a number of reasons. It has the advantage of being the top First Person Shooter (FPS) game in the esports field, and this genre has an enduring popularity amongst gamers. The fact that upsets are not uncommon in CS:GO, also means that it has appeal to punters who are looking for big wins for relatively small stakes.And there’s no shortage of games to bet on. Competitive CS:GO tournaments are run all year round and can be played in a variety of formats, from leagues to single player tournaments. While the game is played primarily online, many of the main tournaments with the largest prize pools are played at high profile and prestigious venues such as the Barclays Center and the Wembley Arena.There is a bewildering variety of CS:GO tournaments to bet on. The ESL Pro League stages CS:GO games on both sides of the Atlantic, featuring some of the world’s top teams, and giving fans the chance to stream games while also betting on the outcome.Also growing in popularity is the CS:GO Global Championships. This gives teams the chance to qualify through their own national qualifying campaigns, called Minors, to take part in the CS:GO Major Championships. These are lucrative, popular events, with huge prizes on offer and bookmakers are keen to offer a wide choice of betting market for these events.Betting on CS:GOThe most popular markets for CS:GO bets are the traditional options of outright tournament winner and match winner. Since most esports fans are happy to debate which is the best CS:GO team, picking the winner of a tournament is a natural extension. The top teams in CS:GO are well known, along with their strengths and weaknesses, and these markets are often a good place to start betting.Match betting is the other main CS:GO market, as it has a simple appeal. Unlike some sports, there are no draws in CS:GO, so it is a clear choice between Team A and Team B. These markets are where it really pays to be up to date on team news, form and the head to head records of the various teams. The majority of money bet on CS:GO is wagered in the match betting markets.The complexity and subtleties of CS:GO also mean that there are a range of other specialist markets, many of them focused on maps. For instance, you can bet on which team will win a single round, or bet in the map handicap markets, which assign a handicap to the stronger team. These markets are popular for matches that see a strong favorite take on an outsider.You can also bet on the correct score in a match, although this is a volatile type of betting as teams will be focused on winning the overall match rather than achieving a certain score. And another rapidly growing form of CS:GO betting is the Over/Under markets, which give you the chance to bet on a range of stats, such as the total number of rounds in a match. Related Topics NEOSI Stafflast_img read more

U.S. Oil and Gas Rig Count Drops to New Low

first_imgThe oil- and gas- producing states which saw the largest declines were Texas with seven, Louisiana with three, and North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Wyoming which each fell by one. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The number of rigs exploring for oil and natural gas in the U.S. dropped again by nine this week to 406, another all-time low amid depressed energy prices. A year ago, 888 rigs were active. The rig count in the U.S. peaked at 4,530 in 1981. The previous low of 488 set in 1999 was eclipsed March 11, and has continued to slide. Baker Hughes Inc, based out of Houston, Texas, reported Friday that 328 rigs are exploring for oil while 86 sought natural gas. One was listed as miscellaneous.center_img California and New Mexico showed gains by two rigs each. Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah and West Virginia remained static.last_img read more

Into the octagon – JFF approves of eight-team world cup qualifying final

first_imgPresident Michael Ricketts says that the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) is content with the new Concacaf World Cup qualifying format, which sees Jamaica enter the final round with two additional teams.The regional football governing body released the new framework yesterday for the final round which is scheduled to begin next June. The changes see the number of teams in the final round increase from six to eight. The top-five teams in the region, based on FIFA rankings as of July 16, qualify automatically, with the last three teams to be determined by a tournament involving the other 30 Concacaf nations. The Reggae Boyz qualify by having maintained their top five ranking. The top three teams will still qualify for the World Cup with the fourth-place team entering a continental play-off.Ricketts says that they will now have enough time to structure their preparations and to approach potential partners for financial support.“What it does, it gives us some time to plan a little better, for us to reach out to corporate Jamaica and the Government and to see how best we can market the programme from here on in,” Ricketts told The Gleaner. “We are comfortable with the new format and we just want to ensure that since we have to make some plans, we must now fully utilise it between now and June 2021 to ensure that it is best practices going forward.” 14 MATCHES Previous plans were scrapped with the suspension of the September international window because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The changes will now see Jamaica playing 14 matches in the final round, more than they have played in previous final round campaigns, but Ricketts says that they will not be at a disadvantage.“The JFF, I think, is comfortable with this new format so it’s just to work hard [and] prepare ourselves,” he said. “The coach (Theodore Whitmore) will now sit down and strategically plan how we are going to extract the maximum number of points from those 14 games.” National senior men’s team manager Roy Simpson says that with the anxiety over the dates and format lifted, the team can properly plan for the challenge ahead. He is also optimistic that local and foreign-based players will return to normal competition by June and not experience COVID-19-related stoppages in play. “Hopefully, by then everybody will be playing in their respective leagues in a normal way and then new players that the technical staff has an interest in, we can now scout them from competitive games,” Simpson said.Concacaf President Victor Montagliani says the new format gives teams a fair opportunity to qualify while rewarding the top five teams in the region. “All teams now have the chance to compete for direct access to Qatar 2022 and dream of playing at a World Cup, while we have also respected the positions of those nations which had mathematically qualified for the final round under the previous system,” Montagliani said. The final round is expected to conclude in March 2022. daniel.wheeler@gleanerjm.comlast_img read more

Cricket News You are very annoying on social media, will block you: Gayle tells Chahal

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Big-hitting West Indies opener Chris Gayle says India spinner Yuzvendra Chahal is “very annoying” on social media and he is going to block him. Chahal is one of the most busiest India cricketers on social media and with the coronavirus-forced lockdown in place, he is spending more time than ever on various platforms.”I am going to tell TikTok to block you as well, seriously. You are very annoying on social media man. You need to get off social media right now. We are tired of Chahal. I don’t wanna see you in my life again. I am gonna block you,” Gayle said during a live session on Instagram.With no cricket due to coronavirus pandemic, players are engaging with fans these days on social media to keep themselves busy. Earlier, India skipper Virat Kohli had referred to Chahal as a clown during a live video session with former South Africa cricketer AB de Villiers.”Have you seen his TikTok videos? You should go and check out Yuzvendra Chahal’s TikTok videos,” said Kohli. “You will not believe this guy is playing international cricket and he is 29-year-old. Just go and look at his videos. He’s an absolute clown.”  last_img read more