Rebecca Draper Townsend, a member of the incoming class of 2019, died Thursday after being struck by a car during a local Fourth of July celebration, according to a University spokesperson.Townsend, a native of Brookfield, Connecticut, and a friend were hit just after the beginning of a fireworks show. There were no crosswalks available in the area of the accident, and police have not determined if they were crossing the road at the time, according to WFSB, a local television station.Townsend and her friend were transported to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead a short while later. Her friend is in serious but stable condition, police said.Townsend graduated last month with honors from Immaculate High School in Danbury, Connecticut, according to her obituary. News of her death quickly spread to the class of 2019’s Facebook page, where a memorial post appeared at 9 a.m.“Father Jenkins has offered his deepest condolences on behalf of the University to Rebecca’s family, several of whom have graduated from Notre Dame,” vice president for student affairs Erin Hoffman Harding said in an email. “Please keep Rebecca and her family in your prayers, and know that each of you are also in our prayers as we prepare for the start of a new academic year next month.”Townsend will be commemorated at the welcome mass for new students in late August, the email said.Tags: Class of 2019, Student death
A sexual assault was reported to the University by a third party on Friday, according to an email sent to students Friday afternoon from Notre Dame Security Police.The alleged assault occurred in a North Quad men’s residence hall on the night of Nov. 17 or the early morning hours of Nov. 18, 2016, after the female victim and male suspect met at an off-campus bar or club, according to the email.The identity of the suspect is unknown to NDSP. University spokesperson Dennis Brown declined to comment further on the incident.Information about sexual assault prevention and resources for survivors of sexual assault are available online from NDSP and from the Committee for Sexual Assault Prevention (CSAP).Tags: NDSP, sexual assault
An indictment is not a final conviction of guilt; it is only a ruling by the grand jury that allows the district attorney’s office to proceed with a criminal case. A Port Arthur man whom police say they found intoxicated and lying on some steps at an apartment complex told officers his name was Jonathan Juhan, which is the same name of a well-known local attorney with commercials on TV.Besides failing to identify himself, he reportedly kicked and assaulted two officers while being placed in a patrol unit.Earlier this week a Jefferson County grand jury indicted Kevin Kenneth Provost, 26, for two counts of assault on a peace officer for an incident that occurred March 5. According to the affidavit for arrest, officers were at Avery Trace Apartments, 4160 FM 365, to serve a warrant and saw a man lying on the stairs. The man appeared unresponsive, so police checked his welfare and were able to wake him after a short time.Police were unable to locate anyone who could take responsibility for the man, whose speech was thick and slurred and officers believed him to be intoxicated.The man, later identified as Provost, reportedly refused to answer questions from police and gave the false name. He was arrested for failure to identify and public intoxication, but as officers began to bring him to the car, he started kicking his legs and refusing to walk.He continued resisting, the document stated, and when seated in the back of the vehicle, began kicking again, striking one officer in the chest and another in the right hand.Provost was brought to the Medical Center of Southeast Texas for medical clearance before being taken to the Jefferson County Correctional Facility.Provost remains in jail on two $15,000 bonds each for assault on a peace officer.
Leahy, the most senior member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, said, ‘While many in agriculture are focused only on September 30th when the Farm Bill expires, we in dairy know that we are in a unique position and the date that really matters is August 31st. We cannot have our nation’s dairy farmers left exposed without a sufficient safety net. ‘ Leahy continued, ‘The MILC Continuation Act addresses this problem and ensures an extension of the MILC program until we are able to enact the important dairy reforms we are negotiating for the Farm Bill. We are working to include a Margin Insurance Program and a Dairy Stabilization Program. I remain committed to passing a Farm Bill this year, and I am pleased that Senator Stabenow, who chairs the Agriculture Committee, has announced a hearing schedule that will allow us to continue evaluating policy solutions so we can swiftly and effectively craft the 2012 Farm Bill.’ The Farm Bill, which authorizes many programs under the purview of the U.S. Department of Agriculture ‘ including the dairy safety net ‘ is set to expire October 1, 2012. For the last month of the Farm Bill, after August 31st, the MILC program support levels for dairy farmers drop significantly. That would leave dairy farmers exposed without a sufficient safety net. Although the delegation is committed to passing a Farm Bill with dairy reforms this year, with prospects for that bill uncertain, this legislation would ensure there is no lapse in the safety net for dairy farmers. ‘Dairy is a major part of Vermont agriculture and farmers are entitled to a fair price. Vermont’s dairy farms are the backbone of our rural economy. The program we are working to renew will give farmers vital and essential support if milk prices fall ‘ and enable dairy farmers to continue the productive work they do,’ said Sen. Sanders. ‘Extending this program for a year will allow the Congress to come up with a long-term solution for the huge fluctuation in the price farmers are paid for their milk.’ Vermont’s congressional delegation ‘ Senator Patrick Leahy and Senator Bernie Sanders and Representative Peter Welch ‘ has introduced legislation to extend a vital safety net that helps dairy farmers ride out downturns in milk prices. Without action, dairy farmers could face a severe drop in support from the MILC safety net by September 1st. The MILC Continuation Act of 2012 would extend for one year the Milk Income Loss Contract (MILC) program at current support levels, which helps dairy farmers when the price of milk falls below $16.94 per hundredweight. Once triggered, farmers receive 45 percent of the difference between that price and the current price of milk, which also takes into account feed costs as a factor in triggering program payments. Welch, a member of the House Agriculture Committee, said, ‘Vermont’s dairy farmers are hard-working and resilient. They have endured bad weather, high energy prices and low milk prices. What they cannot endure is the loss of this vital safety net. However Congress proceeds, it has to ensure dairy farmers are not left stranded.’When milk prices plunged in 2009, the MILC program was a critical lifeline for many Vermont dairy farmers. Vermont Delegation. 2.17.2012
Vermont Business Magazine Today, 16 Attorneys General announced the filing of an amicus brief in support of Washington and Minnesota in the federal lawsuit against the Trump Administration’s executive order on immigration. In an amici curiae brief filed with the US 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, co-authored by Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts, the Attorneys General signatories declared: “Although the amici States’ residents, institutions, industries, and economies differ in various ways, we now all stand together in facing concrete, immediate and irreparable harms from the Executive Order.”The amicus brief is signed by Attorneys General from Vermont, California, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia. The amicus brief follows other legal action by state Attorneys General to oppose President Trump’s order. The amicus brief is available here(link is external).“I am proud to support Washington and Minnesota in their legal action against this unconstitutional order,” Attorney General Donovan said. The amicus brief makes clear that the states have standing to challenge the immigration executive order because of the harm the order inflicts on the states themselves, including:State Educational Institutions. The brief details the disruption of faculty staffing, student attendance, and on-going administration at state colleges and universities, as well as additional costs many of these resource-constrained public institutions cannot afford, caused by the immigration order. In particular, it notes the thousands of faculty and students from the seven affected countries who currently work or study at Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, California, and Virginia state universitiesState Medical Institutions. The brief makes clear the similar injuries President Trump’s order causes to state medical institutions and the provision of care, disrupting the matching process at medical schools and impacting medical residents and other physicians, faculty, and researchers. These institutions serve some of the neediest populations, and are now at risk of decreased staffing as a result of the order.Diminished Tax Revenues from Students, Tourists, and Business Visitors. The executive order abruptly halted the entry of students, tourists, and other visitors from the affected seven countries – and at the same time stopped the millions of dollars they contribute to the states’ economies. The brief also makes clear that there are longer-term harms to the states’ regional economies as a result of the order, as it hampers the movement of people and ideas into the states.Irreparable Harm due to Establishment Clause Violations. As the states have made clear in other filings, the executive order represents an egregious violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment – and this “erosion of religious liberties cannot be deterred by awarding damages to the victims of such erosion.”Harm to States’ Sovereign and Quasi-Sovereign Interests in Enforcing Their Own Statutes. The executive order also undermines the states’ abilities to enforce their own antidiscrimination laws, ensure the benefits of existing federal laws and regulations – such as the Immigration and National Act – are not denied to individuals arriving in these states, and protect residents, businesses, and communities.The amicus brief calls for a denial of the federal government’s emergency motion for stay, as it would return the country to the confusion and chaos created by the executive order in its implementation last weekend.Vermont AG: Feb 6, 2017
Related IRONMAN and NormaTec, a leader in rapid recovery for elite athletes, have announced that NormaTec will be the Official Recovery System of the IRONMAN US Series. The multi-year partnership ensures that IRONMAN triathletes will have ‘access to cutting edge recovery technology at every US IRONMAN race, along with special NormaTec deals and giveaways for IRONMAN competitors and social media followers.’“For years it has been clear that NormaTec has been the secret weapon of pro and elite amateur athletes around the world. As NormaTec strives to make this cutting edge technology available for every serious athlete, it is only natural that a partnership with IRONMAN would follow,” said Cameron O’Connell, Senior Director of North America Sales for IRONMAN.“We are proud to support the IRONMAN US Series,” said Gilad Jacobs, CEO of NormaTec. “IRONMAN champions, like Mirinda Carfrae and Craig Alexander, are the most impressive human performance machines alive, and anyone who completes an IRONMAN is amongst the world’s most ambitious and determined. We help athletes push the boundaries of human ability and IRONMAN cultivates that same environment at every race.”As part of the sponsorship activation, NormaTec will provide free recovery system sessions on-site at US IRONMAN event expos and will also offer special NormaTec deals and giveaways throughout the year online and at the events.www.NormaTecRecovery.comwww.ironman.com
How Fairway should respond to the upswing in new teardown homes is among the issues listed in a survey of residents.How Fairway should respond to the boom in teardown home construction and ways to improve bicycle and pedestrian connections were among the top issues identified in survey conducted in August to help update the city’s comprehensive planThe online survey had 345 responses, and a report listed their top issues as housing redevelopment; civic investment; commercial/office redevelopment, bike/pedestrian improvements, Shawnee Mission Parkway and changing demographics.About 25 people attended an open house held recently by the City Planning Commission and their concerns echoed those reported in the survey, according to a report prepared by the city’s consultant, Gould Evans.The public comments concerned the scale and impact of housing redevelopment, water runoff, tree preservation and sidewalk connectivity. Many Fairway neighborhoods have seen older homes razed and replaced with larger, more expensive residences in recent years.The report identified several comprehensive plan goals for Fairway starting with encouraging housing redevelopment that enhances the community’s character and quality. Other goals included preserving and expanding public spaces and amenities; creating a reliable multi-modal transportation network, and maintaining public infrastructure to assure quality development.A vision statement also was prepared that stated in part: “We value the design character of our neighborhoods, safe and efficient access, state of the art infrastructure and quality services.”Statistics prepared by Gould Evans estimated Fairway’s population at 3,900 people with a median age of 41.4. About 75 percent of the adults have a bachelor’s degree or higher, and the median household income is $104,916.A second community survey is scheduled for distribution Oct. 17. The planning commission is scheduled a hearing on a draft of the revised comprehensive plan Dec. 19 with a City Council hearing scheduled for Jan. 9, 2017. It’s been 14 years since the Fairway comprehensive plan was last updated.
FAYETTEVILLE, AR ― The Native American Agriculture Fund (NAAF), a newly formed private charitable trust devoted to serving the interest of Native farmers and ranchers, has announced its inaugural Request for Applications (RFA). Prospective applicants may register for informational RFA webinars at NativeAmericanAgricultureFund.org/grants-webinar. Technical assistance relating strictly to the application process will be available by dedicated phone and email contacts listed in the RFA. “We are honored and excited to announce this first request for applications in support of Native agriculture,” said Janie Hipp (Chickasaw), CEO of NAAF. “Since NAAF was launched in 2018, our Board of Trustees and staff have taken steps to craft a strategy that can begin to realize the promise we knew was possible when NAAF was created. Agriculture across Indian Country is as diverse as our Native nations and we hope the applications for funding will reflect that diversity. Native farmers and ranchers are key to the success of Native food systems and diversification of our agriculture economies. We look forward to the next step on this journey.” Grant awards will be made on a competitive basis to 501(c)(3) organizations, educational organizations, Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and Native CDFIs, and state and federally recognized tribes for the provision of business assistance, agricultural education, technical support, and advocacy services to existing and aspiring Native farmers and ranchers. NAAF News: Prospective applicants are encouraged to view the RFA at NativeAmericanAgricultureFund.org/grants. The Request for Applications opened Aug. 1, 2019. Eligible applicants must submit a complete application no later than 11:59 p.m. CDT Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. “We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to transform Native agriculture,” said Elsie Meeks (Oglala Lakota), Chair of the NAAF Board of Trustees. “We are feeding our people, growing our economies and building our future through planting these seeds throughout Indian Country.”The Native American Agriculture Fund (NAAF) is a charitable trust created by the settlement of the landmark Keepseagle v Vilsack class-action lawsuit. NAAF is the largest philanthropic organization devoted solely to serving the Native farming and ranching community.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe